Go to global navigation

Read the article

Go to side contents

Go to footer



Q1. Must the certificate of graduation be original?
At the time of application, a photo copy of the original is acceptable. Students from China are require to submit the original with their application. Soon after you get our notification of addmission, send us the original.
Q2. Are two letters of recommendation necessary?
Yes. Two from college professors, employers or others familiar with you.
Q3. What should I do if I have no acquaintances to ask to write the recommendation letters?
The letters of recommendation must be written in Japanese. If not, we are sorry to say you are not able to apply IJS.
Q4. How should I certify my financial support?
You will find it in the Application Procedures. If you receive financial support from your parents, use FORM 5. If a guarantor living in Japan supports you, use FORM 6, #1 and #2.
Q5. How should I pay the application fee?
From abroad, use an International Postal Money Order payable to NGU. Checks are not acceptable.

After admission

Q1. Should I apply to get the Certificate of Eligibility by myself?
NGU will apply for you. Please note that it will take a long time to get it.
Q2. If the Certificate of Eligibility is not issued, what happens to the fee that I have paid?
We will return all the fees except the remitting fee to your own bank account.

About campus life

Q1. Does NGU have dormitories?
Yes, we do. Each unit is divided into two parts for two students to use. One is about 9.9 square meters for 35,000 yen per month, the other is about 7.4 square meters for 30,000 yen per month. This includes electricity and water charges. Japanese students of our university also live in the dormitory. They will help you with your campus life. Please note that there are not usually sufficient rooms in the dormitory for all students.
Q2. May I lease a room outside the dormitory?
A room at a private dormitory costs 40,000 yen including breakfast and supper, excluding monthly electric and water charges. The number of this type of rooms is also limited. We would like to recommend early application. It is possible to lease an apartment according near the campus. In this case you have to pay about 200,000 yen for deposit at the time of moving in. Also, the room is normally not furnished, so you have to get electric appliances and some furniture. The rent will be over 50,000 yen.
Q3. I have never been abroad, so I am very nervous.
For first three weeks after your entrance, our Japanese students will take care of you as tutors. They will be very glad to help you, such as meeting you at Chubu International Airport, check into seminar house, apply for foreign registration, apply for national health insurance, get a mobile phone, open a bank account, buy daily necessities and other things. Please feel free to ask them for everything.
Q4. How much are the living expenses?
It depends on you, but at minimum it would cost 50,000 yen in addition to the accommodation fees each month.
Q5. Is it allowed to do some part-time job?
If you get permission of the Immigration Office, you can work up to 28 hours a week. But you may not have much time for work, because IJS students will have to do a lot of homework.
Q6. Do you have any insurance covering illness?
IJS students must apply to the National Health Insurance which is run by local government when they enter the program. The premium will be between 2,000-3,000 yen per month. When you get ill, 70% of the cost will be covered by this insurance. The rest is your expense. Also, the Japan Student Services Organization has a policy for foreign students which will pay 35% of the medical expenses paid by the student. We will explain these systems when you enter IJS.
Q7. Does the program have any opportunities for intraction with neighbors?
You will find various activities such as visiting an elementary school, putting on a kimono at a community center, seeing kabuki plays and so on.
Q8. Are there any field trips?
Two-day trips are planned for October and May. Last year, we visited Shirakawa-go which is an old and rural village, and visited Iga and Ise Ueno. All the IJS students participated. NGU paid all the expenses.

About classes

Q1. How are students placed in classes?
At the beginning of each term, all IJS students take a Japanese language placement test. Based on the score, students will be placed in one of five grades in the language program.
Q2. Is it possible to take some undergraduate courses?
Students in Japanese grades 4 and 5 can take some undergraduate courses in addition to Japanese language class. The credits you get on these courses may be transferred for Institute credits.
Q3. How many hours of classes in a day?
Please check the curriculum at this site. Normally there are language courses in the morning. In the afternoon, you take one or two elective courses.
Q4. Are there any scholarships for foreign students?
Japan Students Services Organization offers "Honors Scholarship for Privately Financed International Students". NGU has a scholarship only for the private IJS students. The application time is May and October.
Q5. Are there any internship programs?
Yes. Our internship programs offer supervised practical work experiences in Japanese business, education, public service, for two weeks after winter interim. You can receive two credits for this program.
Q6. Can I get advice on non-academic matters?
We offer a consulting hour at a certain time each week.

After the end of the term

Q1. How can I apply to Japanese Universities?
You have to take an entrance examination for each university. To apply to many universities, foreign students must take the Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Studies before the entrance examination. If you are planning to apply to Japanese Universities, let us know at the time of entrance. Our Japanese teachers will intently guide you to the goal.
Q2. How can I apply to NGU?
After finishing the IJS courses, you have to take a special entrance examination. We can not assure you of addmission into NGU. While you are in the IJS courses, you must work hard to get a good score on the Japanese-Language Proficiency Test and the Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Studies. Success depends on your efforts.