Go to global navigation

Read the article

Go to side contents

Go to footer


History


Home > About NGU > History

The origin of Nagoya Gakuin University can be traced back to 1887, when Dr Frederic C. Klein, a missionary of the American Methodist Protestant Church, founded the first Christian school in Nagoya, with the aim of educating young people along the principals of Christianity.
Nagoya Gakuin follows the spirit of the school’s motto, “Fear God, Love People.” and the present -day university was founded in 1964 on the "Daiko" site, where the High School still stands. In 2014, the university will celebrate its 50th anniversary.
  1887 Dr. Frederic C. Klein founded the Aichi English School in July, which was renamed the Nagoya Anglo-Japanese School the following September.
September 1906 The Aichi Prefectural Government authorized the establishment of the Nagoya Junior High School, as a private institution.
April 1948 Nagoya Senior High School was established to incorporate educational reforms.
March 1951 Nagoya Gakuin was established as a legally incorporated educational institution.
April 1964 Nagoya Gakuin University was established with the Department of  Economics in the Faculty of Economics.
April 1966 The Department of Commerce was added to the Faculty of Economics.
April 1968 The university was transferred to a new campus located in Seto City.
March 1973 Nagoya Gakuin University was established as a legally incorporated educational institution.
September 1983 Seto Campus Chapel was built to commemorate the university's 20th anniversary.
April 1989 The Faculty of Foreign Studies was established with two departments: The Department of English and the Department of Chinese. The Institute for Japanese Studies was established.
April 1992 The Faculty of Commerce was established with the Department of Commerce.
April 1997 Graduate School of Economics and Business Administration was established, offering graduate degrees in Economics (M.A.) and Business Administration (M.A.). Graduate School of Foreign Languages was established, offering a graduate degree in English (M.A.).
April 1999 Doctor’s Degree Program in Business Administration was added to the Graduate School of Economics and Business Administration.
April 2000 The Department of Policy Studies was added to the Faculty of Economics.
April 2001 A Correspondence Program, leading to a graduate degree in English (M.A.), was established in the Graduate School of Foreign Languages.
April 2003 The Department of Management and Business Communication was added to the Faculty of Commerce.
April 2005 The Department of International Culture and Cooperation was added to the Faculty of Foreign Studies.
April 2006 The Faculty of Human Health was established with the Department of Health Science and the Department of Rehabilitation Sciences (Physical Therapy).
April 2007 The Nagoya Campus was opened. The Department of Chinese was reformed into the Department of Chinese Communication.
The New Nagoya Chapel was built on the Nagoya Campus.
April 2008 A Correspondence Program, leading to a graduate degree of English (Ph.D.), was added to Graduate School of Foreign Languages.
April 2009 The Program of International Culture and Cooperation (M.A.) was added to the Graduate School of Foreign Languages. 
The Department of Management and Business Communication was changed to the Department of Information and Management.
April 2010 The Faculty of Human Health was changed to the Faculty of Health and Sports and the Faculty of Rehabilitation Sciences.
April 2013 The Faculty of Law was established.